WfW 3.11 safe mode?
Mike
2003-06-27 07:17:01 UTC
I just installed my old copy of wfw and the display was set to VGA for my
ati all-in-wonder pro 8mb agp2x video card. I am searching for the ati
driver but in the mean time I tried one of the higher resolution settings
that are listed. In doing so, I loose the monitor after the win 3.11
splash
screen. I tried f8 to enter safe mode to swith the setting back but that
did not work. anyone know how to get the setting back to vga with no
monitor?
Nevermind... I found and read the manual. From DOS, cd to windows dir,
setup, change video setting. that was it.
newsreader
2003-06-27 07:19:59 UTC
You need to boot to the DOS command line and edit the two files:-
c:\windows\system.ini
and
c:\windows\Progman.ini
Just use the Edit command to see them
In system.ini boot section look for the line Display.drv=...........
Put a semi colon at the beginning of the line and then create a new line
which reads:
display.drv=vga.drv
In the progman.ini file look in the settings section and look for the
same line and do the same changes.

This will give you a basic windows screen that you can then change from
within win3x correctly.

***@xcanalbsx.co.uk)
URL http://www.canalbs.co.uk/

Troubleshooting and support - contact through the web page please
many thanks!
Happy Oyster
2003-07-30 21:20:48 UTC
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:19:59 +0100, newsreader
Post by newsreader
You need to boot to the DOS command line and edit the two files:-
c:\windows\system.ini
and
c:\windows\Progman.ini
Just use the Edit command to see them
In system.ini boot section look for the line Display.drv=...........
Put a semi colon at the beginning of the line and then create a new line
display.drv=vga.drv
In the progman.ini file look in the settings section and look for the
same line and do the same changes.
This will give you a basic windows screen that you can then change from
within win3x correctly.
Hi,

this is the way to do it if the graphics card went up in smoke and the
new card is of a different type. No chance to change to standard VGA
resolution before the fire...

Regards,

Aribert Deckers
--